Monday, April 12, 2010

Oct. 21-April 12 Aquia Harbour to Marathon, FL

It is always nice to visit Aquia Harbour and see old friends, but there is always some work to do around the house. It also gives us a chance to catch up with boat stuff in preparation for departure. This year the weather was cold and raining so we missed both Trawlerfest in Solomons and the Annapolis Boat Show. Can't remember the last time we missed the Annapolis Boat Show.

After finishing up with doctor and dentist appointments we departed for Green Cove Springs in mid October. When we arrived at the Deep Creek Lock in Deep Creek, VA, Puffin and Lo Que SeA where there tied to Elizabeth's Dock with another boat. Since there was no room for us, we rafted off of Puffin. The next night found the 3 of us in Elizabeth City. We spent several days there because of weather and were joined by Bettie and Klaas on Moon Beam. Since Randy and I were in no rush, we departed ways with the other boats and went on to Washington, NC. On previous trips south we had talked about going there and this seemed like a good time. It turned out to be a nice side trip before proceeding on our usual course.

We arrived in Green Cove Springs a few days before Thanksgiving. We rented a car and joined my parents, nephews Justin and Jason and their families at my brother's house in Waynesboro, GA for Thanksgiving. Jeff's girl friend, Linda, fixed a wonderful meal with all the trimmings. Linda and Jeff recently got married. We are lucky to have Linda in the family. Not only is she a wonderful cook, she is also a terrific person.

Our time in Green Cove Springs was quiet this year. A few Great Harbour friends came and went. However, we spent a lot of time visiting family. Not only did I see my parents several times in Ft. Walton Beach, we saw grandson Jerry and daughter Cindy in Hernando, and Rob, Cynthia, Kylie and Riley in Atlanta. We departed Green Cove Springs the end of January heading for Marathon.

We made several stops for generator and shaft seal problems along the way, Ft. Pierce and Ft. Lauderdale. Stopped in Miami for the Miami Boat Show. There were not as many vendors at the show this year, a result of the poor economy, but still more vendors than we had time for. Finally made it to Marathon on March 10. As it turned out, that was too early to arrive because all the mooring balls were taken. We had to wait 4 days before we got a mooring ball. We were lucky that there was room along the wall at the City Marina. However, it was expensive so we were anxious to move to a ball.

Life on a mooring ball has been good. We have gone to Key West, by bus, eaten out a lot and ridden our bikes. We hope to come back next year but will try to make reservations at a marina before we arrive. The weather has been perfect, low humidity and low temperatures (70's and low 80's). Of course now that we are ready to depart, the weather has turned, windy and rain with possibility of thunderstorms. We are not in a hurry so we will wait it out. After all, we are retired. We don't have to rush.


  1. you are invited to follow my blog

  2. What's new? Any updates? It's been like 8-9 months?